The Eye Health Examination Wales (EHEW) is funded by the Welsh Assembly Government. It is designed to provide FREE eyecare for selected groups of patients who may be at higher risk of eye disease, and/or patients who develop a sudden eye problem.
Our Optometrist Laura is one of the accredited Optometrists in Wales who can provide these examinations.
You may qualify for a funded EHEW examination if you:
- have an acute eye problem that requires urgent attention (please call us straight away if you have any problems with your eyes or vision and we can discuss this with you)
- are referred to us by your GP or pharmacist
- are uniocular (sight in one eye only)
- are hearing impaired
- have retinitis pigmentosa
- are at risk of eye disease due to ethnic background
You may also qualify if:
- you are referred by the Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Service Wales
- you have been referred by the Hospital Eye Service following cataract surgery
Laura qualified as an independent prescriber in March 2021, after spending time working in eye casualty and the glaucoma clinic as part of the training. This qualification means that Laura can diagnose and manage a wider range of eye conditions in the community. She has access to more specialised medication to treat certain eye conditions rather than having to refer you to the hospital setting.